Thursday, January 19, 2012

Software Salad - What's in a name?

Why call a blog about software, 'Software Salad'?

I often get comments in the cafeteria about the salads I create for lunch. The cafeteria charges by the container used to construct the salad, not by weight or number of ingredients. So, it pays to 'pile it on', especially, if I'm hungry.

I like a wide variety of ingredients for my salad, generally, the less processed, the better. I use ingredients from A to Z: artichoke hearts, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, eggs, peppers, spinach, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, zucchini and more. The light fluffy stuff (lettuce and other greens) go on the plate first and the heavier items last since they will compress the greens. When I'm done, I've created a work of art, as some coworkers have commented.

So what has this to do with software?

Modern software development has become much like building a salad. We have hundreds of ingredients, languages, libraries, and tool sets, to choose from. You need a plan in order to build a masterpiece.

I plan to use this blog to document my building of 'Software Salads'.

No comments:

Post a Comment